Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Goodbye


Death is a subject that I have not touched on too much directly to date, but it is part of life and part of faith. A while ago, at a sermon during a funeral, I heard something that stuck with me. It is okay to be sad and mourn the death of a loved one. Death was not a part of God's original plan. Also, death is described as the enemy in the Bible. Jesus' death and resurrection defeated that enemy, but it is still a reality at present until the last day. Even Jesus cried when his friend Lazarus died. About a year ago Chad Louis' had a blog post here, listing 6 things not to say at his funeral, where two of them touched on this very topic.

  1. He was a good man (we are forgiven sinners)
  2. My name (talk about Jesus)
  3. God now has another angel (heaven is not de-humanizing)
  4. We are here to celebrate life, not mourn death
  5. He would not want us to cry
  6. What's in the coffin is just a shell, or not really that person (our bodies will be resurrected)

The song Goodbye, by Plankeye.


It's difficult to say goodbye after only one life
The rain will fall down replenishing all of our broken dreams
And this burning tree that's withering will bloom again
Would you believe

Goodbye, walk away it's time to say goodbye

Goodbye, walk away it's time to say goodbye

Now all that's left are pictures on the wall

Memories and stories that are told
The more often told the bigger they get
Create a legacy, lest we forget

Goodbye, walk away it's time to say goodbye

No longer can I hold onto this defeated change in heart
It's time to sing "fare thee well" to life as we know it
My voice it will be still

Something woke me up in the midst of dream and fantasy

Halfway there but He always fills my cup
And He lifts me up
Oh how He lifts me up

Goodbye, walk away it's time to say goodbye

I never took the time to stop and realize
That death takes many forms
Even while alive

No comments:

Post a Comment