Wednesday, December 30, 2015

From Systematics to Biblical Theology


After blogging for a couple of years on mainly systematics/dogmatics, I have decided to focus a little more on going through the Bible, itself. The new year seems like an appropriate time for new beginnings, so I will temporarily change tracks for a bit. To date I have focused on theological topics and individuals, or small sections of the Bible. Therefore, for the next little while, I want to focus on Biblical theology and go through the Bible as history, followed by major biblical themes.

In the end, the Bible is not just a book of theology, it is a history of God's plan of salvation and how he has acted it out throughout human history. I don't want to get so wrapped up in systematizing that I lost the big picture. Basically, I don't want to turn systematic (or theology in general) into a idol. This blog has also largely chronicled my study of practical theology, but I don't want to turn the liturgy into a new kind of spirituality, where if we do it good enough, we get closer to God. While head knowledge is very important to Christianity, it is fundamentally a religion of faith, which includes knowledge, but is also more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment