Friday, June 6, 2014

Book Review/Summary - The Hammer of God (Bo Giertz)


Note: This is not the Arther C. Clarke science fiction novel from 1993 (although that is also a good book for fans of the genre and it does deal with religion in interesting ways). Giertz's Hammer of God is kind of an unusual, but really interesting book. It is a novel about three pastors in the same place (Ödesjö, Sweden) but separated in time, who struggle with their duties and the distinction between Law and Gospel.  This book is a great presentation of Law and Gospel (which seems especially appropriate right after Easter) and there were five powerful sections of dialogue for me that really showcase this, so I have put them below.
  • The first is the comfort of the gospel given to a dying man who is worrying about his sinful life:
"I am a sinner, a great sinner."
"Yes, that you are. But Jesus is a still greater Savior."
"But my heart is not clean; I do not have the new spirit."
"Jesus came not to call on the righteous, but sinners"
"Yes, but it reads, 'to repentance.' It is repentance that I lack."
"It is not repentance that you lack, but faith."
"What, then, shall I believe?"
"You must believe this living Word of God, 'his faith is counted for righteousness."
"But why, then, have I not received a clean heart?"
"If you had received a clean heart, and for that reason had been able to earn salvation-to what end would you then need a Savior?"
pp. 28-31
  • The second is a pastor explaining Christ's atonement:
"This is the great secret of redemption, you understand, that God has drawn a cross over all the sinfulness of the world.... The corruption of sin is something that you cannot put away yourself. For this you need a redeemer, one who suffers in your place; for otherwise, you might as well give up any thought of heaven right now."
pp. 118-119
  • The third is two pastors arguing about decision theology:
"I just want you to know from the beginning, sir, that I am a believer."
"So you are a believer, I'm glad to hear that.  What do you believe in?"
"In Jesus, of course. I mean that I have given Him my heart."
"Do you consider that something to give Him?"
"But sir, if you do not give your heart to Jesus, you cannot be saved."
"You are right, my boy. And it is just as true that, if you think you are saved because you give your heart, you will not be saved.... The heart is a rusty old can on a junk heap. A fine birthday gift, indeed! But a wonderful Lord passes by, and has mercy on the wretched tin can, sticks His walking cane through it and rescues it from the junk pile and takes it home with him. That is how it is."
pp. 146-147
  • The fourth is explaining the common spiritual journey of a convert:
"When a sinner first has the eyes of his understanding opened, they are directed downward upon his own unblessed and lost state.  The law constrains a man to look chiefly at himself, and drives him to compare his corrupted nature with the holiness of God and his guilt with the righteousness of God.... But afterward the Holy Spirit lifts the eyes of our understanding to Jesus only. It is a blessed thing when a believing soul looks in the Word for Jesus only."
pg. 202
  • The fifth is a pastor admonishing another pastor who was only preaching the law:
"You lack the right faith in Jesus only."
"What, then, should I do about it?"
"Read the Bible, of course."
"I read the Bible every day."
"I believe that. But how do you read?"
"I try to read devotionally and for edification, so that I take to heart that which I feel is meant for me."
"Feel, feel! That is just what is wrong. Don't you believe the Bible is God's Word just a truly, no matter how you may feel?... Because you make your feelings your barometer, you pass by the gospel and are held fast int he law. Look in your Bible and see if the passages you have especially marked are not just those that speak of what you shall do. But you have not given half the attention to that which tells what Christ has done through His atonement.?
pp.296-297

1 comment:

  1. If you loved “The Hammer of God,” or just like Bo Giertz, I think you will really enjoy the prequel I just translated. Set in the 16th century Bo Giertz explores the reformation through the eyes of two brothers on opposite sides of rebellion. Faith Alone, The Heart of Everything is a tour de force of Christian historical fiction and Scandinavian Noir: https://www.amazon.com/Faith-Alone-Everything-Bo-Giertz/dp/1948969351/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Bo+Giertz&qid=1597870917&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRVU2TEZUNlRCQU1QJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk3OTg1M1NWMVVYTlVKUzUyTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjE5MzM0MjVaNlRITFhUVVBBUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

    ReplyDelete