Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Kids Say The Darnedest Things (or Faith Like a Child)

My oldest son is turning 5 years old today! Over the last year he was quite introspective and philosophical for a preschooler, so I started writing down all some of the things he says to keep track of them for posterity.  Here are some of the better ones related to theology:

"Jesus is the most important thing of all the important things."

"We don't have to kill baby sheep anymore because Jesus came before all the people alive in this time."

"Have you ever eaten any bugs?"
Me: "Sure, I have eaten crickets."
"Hey, John the Baptist ate crickets! And he ate honey, even though he wasn't a bear. But he wore furry clothes like a bear. It makes him kind of look like an Indian. Maybe he ate honey on the crickets to make them taste better."

After getting in trouble for about the millionth time that day he was in another time out and told me, "Daddy, I'm sad because I keep on doing naughty things, even though I don't want to." Romans 7:18-19 anybody? "For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing."

Driving in the car one day he randomly tells me: "Did you know that if God said there should be a house right here it would just be there, because when God says things his words makes those things actually happen?" Many Christians today understand the Biblical attributes of inspiration, inerrancy, and infallibility, some understand its sufficiency, but how many understand its efficacy?

During a children's sermon at church one Sunday, pastor asked what the kids would do if they found money on the ground.  He wanted them to say they would try to find out who's it was, but my boy says, "I would put it in the offering plate at church because its God's money anyway."

Lastly, a funny one. We were playing the rhyming game and I tried to stump him by asking him what rhymes with banana and he answered with, "Hosannah!" I guess he got me there.

As Jesus says in Luke 18:16-17, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."  Talk about receiving the kingdom of God. I can't wait to see what he comes up with once he's five! Happy birthday buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment